Monday, December 8, 2008

Mom's Beauty Parlor





Moms - we can do anything, right? I mean, we are nurses, chefs, counselors, chauffeurs... the list never ends. Well, I wanted to add to my resume the role of beautician! My three fellas all get varying degrees of "high and tight" and I wanted to give it a go. I've paid too much money for traumatic experiences at some cheap "salon" at the mall - and with not very good results.

I purchased my kit at Tar-jay for $25 and knew that if I only gave each guy one hair cut, I'd save about $10 - $15. JD was my first brave customer. Truth be told, he just wants to shave his all off since his hair is steadily going away (and not coming back). I figured if I really botched it up, he could get his wish and just lose it all.

I had to do about three touch-ups and there is a weird line above his right ear. But, all in all, it's passable.

On to Josiah, he is so easy. Give him a cookie and he's all yours. His 'do is a little better than Daddy's.

Lastly, I took on my oldest. This was going to be interesting, I just knew. Since he hates getting his hair cut, I had the persuasive argument of telling him that if I did not cut his hair, someone at the mall would. My big error was not putting a towel around him since he started getting agitated when he saw the hair all around him and on his shirt. We finally ended the session with his head about 80% cut. I've since gone back and he's now about 95% done. I just need to do the neck. It's not great but it's not too bad.

So, I'm proud of myself for being resourceful. Truth be told, the cuts are really, well, lacking. But, I bet the gold standard of mommies in Proverbs 31 would have used some clippers for her fellas too!

3 comments:

Matt & Alison Blokzyl said...

You are braver than me! Ed took B for his first cut and there was no drama...so we'll leave it at that for now. But I sure could save some money...

Angela said...

Don't worry! It gets better with practice! The first time I cut Philip's hair 7 years ago it took me TWO hours!!! Now, I can do all three of the guys in under a half hour and they looks pretty good. :) Way to go on saving the money! It's worth it!

Denise Travis said...

You are so good! Chris has had me cutting his hair since we got engaged. As hard as I try, I can't convince him to spend the 8 bucks to get his haircut at some cheap barber shop. I'm sure I'll be calling you for tips on cutting hair on little squirmy wormies!