Monday, March 12, 2007

A Breakthrough Moment

After literally 9 months of using sign language with Jon David, he finally "spoke" to me using his hands! I've kept the signing super simple and only done a few: eat, drink, all done, more and please. Can you guess which one he now knows? EAT! I was so so excited to watch him mirror me and tell me that he wants to eat. Of course, I still say the actual words but this is so nice because he has a way of telling me what he wants and needs. He's VERY proud of himself and because of this, he has been eating quite frequently lately. I am trying to reinforce his communication and pretty much get him food anytime those little fingers make their way to his mouth in the "Eat" manner. It's just SO cool because he is really starting to "get it." I can tell him to go see his bear (the big babyGap bear) and he'll go; when he asks to go "Nigh Nigh" and I actually tell him, "Okay. Now go to your room.", off he goes. It's like the whole world is starting to open up for him. He is indeed "wonderfully and fearfully made." - Psalm 139:14. Thank you, Lord!

4 comments:

Wendy said...

Denise_ How wonderful! Elaina is two and I have started sign language with her, as she is speech delayed. It is so fun seeing them communicate with you! I love it! Congrats on the new breakthrough, and wishes for many more to come!!

AnniePat said...

yay! that is so fun! keep eating, jon david...i know you're trying to catch up with tyler! [on a sidenote, i just linked your blog from mine, so feel free to do the same.]

Megan said...

Yea, Jon! What a smart boy!

He could entertain Eleanor for hours now, as she thinks the sign for "eat" is hysterical!

erin said...

Woohoo Jon! What an exciting moment. Isn't this age SO fun? I love all the daily new discoveries and getting a peak into how their little minds work. Thanks for sharing your smartie with us!