Wednesday, March 14, 2007

A Prayer for Our Son

As Jon David and I were playing outside today, I was struck by watching him walk along the winding sidewalk. I found myself getting all philosophical about how we are growing him to one day be strong and, we pray, follow the Lord's leading in his life. And, from what I hear, if we do our job really well, he will one day leave the comforts of life with me and his daddy and go and find his own way in the world. And, if we really get it right, he will often return because he loves (and likes!) us.

Though days like today where the whining is plentiful and the tears for very small (perceived!) injustices are quick to flow, I know deep in my heart that this season is short- far, far too short. And, I pray that Jon David will learn to call upon the Lord for his salvation and grace at an early age. Yes, I want him to be a happy boy but more than his happiness, I want the peace which surpasses all understanding that only comes from our Heavenly Father. I do pray that Jon David will call upon the name of Jesus Christ and know the blessed assurance that only the Savior's love allows.

It's scary to watch my boy walk. He often falls; he often gets hurt. Guess what, same goes for his parents. I bet it's also hard for the Lord to watch us walk and stumble as we do. So, you see, all this running through my mind as I'm snapping away at the most precious baby boy who is actually not really even a baby.

Lord, I can't keep him from falling and I don't think you even want me to. I recognize that he is ultimately YOURS and in Your hands, I trust him. I pray that you protect him every step of the way. Make me the mommy that he needs and the mommy that brings you glory. I know you are working on this already in his daddy. We trust you, Lord, for you are GOOD all the time. You are the Potter and we are your clay! Use us to your glory!

4 comments:

Wendy said...

Oh- I so understand what you are saying! Great post tonight!! What an incredible journey we have ahead of us, but boy are we blessed to have God watching over us! Praise him for that!!

Janice said...

What a beautiful post, Denise! I don't want to sound too sappy but you got me a little teary eyed when reading this. :-)

Oh, and great capture Jon David!!!! Sorry to say I don't have Photoshop but I use another program to edit my photos, so I can't give you any tips. I heard it takes some time to get used to using it, though.

Susie PSU said...

Good post. Excellent food for thought. Thanks!

Megan said...

Great post, Denise! You expressed in words exactly what the Bible teaches us to want for our kiddos!