Friday, April 23, 2010

Good Night, Jon Boy

Do you ever wonder what bed times are like with other families? Is yours more like a scene from Super Nanny or, and I'm aging myself here, the Waltons? I'd say at our house, we are part Super Nanny and part, "Good night, John Boy" - more closely resembling the Waltons. This post is about the funny and sweet parts of our night. I'll tackle the aspects requiring performance management some other time. Now, for the fun...



If you had been in our home this week, here's what you would have seen.

Our snakes (aka Jon and Josiah) needed to shed their skins. What, you don't all do that?? Oh, you are missing out. What you need to do is lie down next to your stuffed animal snakes (you need to have at least 4 - one of baby brother and three for the big guy). This can take anywhere from 5 - 10 minutes.

Missing loveys. Jon's "Baby" is often MIA come bed time. And no telling where Si's "Blankie" is hiding. Give us about 10 minutes for a search and rescue mission.
Mix in a snake book and a story from The Jesus Storybook Bible.

Prayers which tonight included Jon David saying, "Thank you, God, for my parents." So sweet! Tuck the boys in their beds and proceed to the nightly train story. All train stories must begin with "Once upon a time on the island of Sodor" - it's simply non-negotiatable. Daddy tells the first train story and Mommy finishes.

The next part is quite comical and something I might even consider filming for posterity sake. We sing the Veggie Tales' hit, "God is bigger than the Boogie Man." It's a good night time song as it reminds them that God is looking out for them. What makes it extra fun is that I find myself using moves from my Zumba class as I sing. It's a hoot and the boys giggle and sing along.

Lastly, Mommy sings another ditty from the Veggie Tales CD... "Twinkle Twinkle, Little Star. What a gift from God you are!" I have to sing it to each boy separately and sing it softly in their ears. They just love this part. How sweet is that!?!

The End.

(Oh, I almost forgot... you must include at least 2 or 3 additional potty breaks and requests to be tucked in - again! Insert Super Nanny here.)

4 comments:

O Boys Mommy said...

So, so cute! I love that you are blogging again. Keep it up!

MyAwesomeOliveShoots said...

So adorable! I have been part of the nightly ritual and it is priceless! You are showing the sweet sides of motherhood and that can give us all a good perspective when the tough moments show up!

Nicole said...

I, too, have gratefully been witness to this bed time ritual! I have royally messed up the Thomas Story as well, including trains that were, "not allowed Miss Cole" So sweet. I miss them!

Julia M said...

So cute! I love the snakes shedding their skins picture!