Wednesday, October 10, 2007

A Losing Battle


I have a confession to make - I am not a big fan of Thomas the Tank Engine and his posse. Am I a bad mommy??? I know, I know - kids go nutso for Mr. T and his transportation pals. In fact, some of my favorite kids are HUGE fans. I am not opposed to all things Thomas but I was hoping to keep the intensity of devotion to the blue guy and all his pals to something manageable. I think I am fighting a losing battle.

This video is proof. Jon David is one of "those kids." I think he is saying, "freight cars" in the video but I am not sure. He loves Thomas and I need to just deal with it. I think my big beef is the one guy who narrates the videos and the way the books are written. Example:

"I am fast and you are slow," said Percy.
"Hmmmpf," puffed Thomas.
"Catch me if you can," said Percy.
"I will catch you! I will!" said Thomas.

And so it goes. Maybe if there were different people who played the part of the characters it would be better. A little variety would be good and less identifying each "guy" every time they talk.

I am thankful that Jon David still loves "Ga Ga" (aka Curious George) and seems to have a thing for most things transportation related (school buses, tractors, etc.). I will still try to diversify but maybe I need to accept this new thing.

Any other bad mommies out there who don't like something their kiddos love? Do tell!!

6 comments:

MyAwesomeOliveShoots said...

What a little sugar boy! I think he is saying "freight cars," this guy is a genius. His vocabulary is soaring, I love seeing that brain working so hard! I am crazy about Jon and baby Josiah!

Love,

Aunt D

Shana-Lynn said...

What a smart little guy he is!

I will confess, I am not at all a big fan of Dora. Sorry Aubree, I know you love that girl:-(

Janice said...

I love hearing him talk!!!!!! He's such a cutie!

Ditto what Shana said. I'm not crazy about Dora or Diego, either. The kids love watching Thomas but only the ones where they sing. I think the all the talking with the same narrator bores them.

In answer to your question, yes I did make my banner. Glad you like it! :)

Denise Travis said...

One of the blessings of having a girl...don't think we'll get too into old Thomas the Tank, but you never know! Anyway...I think you are a great MOMMY! You are just trying to make sure your son is well rounded!!

=)

Wendy said...

Well, I am with you on the Thomas, but Connor had a 2 year obsession with it, and lots of money $$ with the stuff now collecting dust! I HATE Hot Wheels tracks. They are a cheap mess. They take up a ton of space, and just annoy the heck out of me. Connor LOVES them, and admittedly he has quite a few of them!

Andrea said...

Oh Denise, I just love hearing his sweet little voice! That melts my heart.

Evan has not shown a devotion to any branded characters yet, which makes me happy, because I am so not in to all those things- character clothes, character lunch boxes, you know what I mean.

But in the end, I think if Evan asked for it, I would let him get it. I guess if it is important to him, I won't really let my own prejudices hold him back. I just hope he picks a cute character to love!