Thursday, June 26, 2008

The Popsicle Incident

I'd seen signs of it coming for a while. And, if I were being real honest with myself, I knew the day would come. And if I'm being even more honest, I know there will be more and they will be worse (possibly much worse).

Josiah had his first temper tantrum.
I'm sure his version of what happened will differ from mine and you'll just need to ask him for yourself and decide who's cornering the market on the truth here. Here's my side:


It was a hot summer day and I thought the perfect time to bring out some popsicles! I consider this an "outside" treat and not something I want to be cleaning off our walls and furniture forever. So, I offer both boys the delicous summer treat. My plan was to allow Josiah a few (or more) tastes and that'd be it. When I decided he'd had enough, I casually hid the frozen treat and planned to move on. "Not so fast," screamed Baby Si.




And oh was he mad!




Jon David took forever with his and I finally decided to leave him on the deck while bringing my screaming baby into the house. I could watch Jon David through the window and Josiah could continue his temper tantrum on the carpet. I'm not sure if Jon David was taunting Josiah by standing right near the door sucking on the popsicle or if Jon just wanted to be able to see us. But, the more he stood outside and gingerly enjoyed his treat, the more Josiah flipped out. Temper, temper, temper. This lasted a good 5 minutes and I believe that we have had our first glimpse into my ever-changing baby boy.

How did the tantrum end? Jon David finally finished his treat and Si eventually forgot what he was so mad about. He just suddenly stopped crying and went back to playing.

(Oh - and Josiah would like for me to add to his 10-month updates: 6 teeth (well, sort of - the top 4 are about 60% out) and he can stand unassisted for about 5 - 10 seconds.)

3 comments:

Laura P said...

oh wow! first tantrum and only 10 little months :) I know it was probably not very funny at the time,but this made me laugh. i laughed out loud about Jon standing at the door with his beloved treat, and the picture was hilarious. Well, at least little Sy will stand up for himself when needed, right? A good quality for the little brother to have. Oh--here comes Jordan down the stairs during naptime--not joking! tiem to close the door. gotta go :)

Denise Travis said...

Katie has started throwing her share of temper tantrums lately as well...NOT my favorite side of my little girl. Once again it seems like our munchkins have planned a rebellion!

Way to go on the SIX teeth and the standing all by himself!!

Book Worm said...

I'm amazed at your sweet boy...and who wouldn't throw a tantrum over a yummy treat. I'm with him on that one. Nice deck too!