Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Month of Memories - December 6th

Well, I tried to update last night before bed but my battery ran out. I mean that both literally and figuratively. Here’s yesterday’s post today…

I believe the tradition started in 1977. I’d have to scan my mom’s Christmas tree to confirm but I am pretty confident of the year. I’m not sure how my little six-year-old self thought of it. It probably happened something like this: I see an ornament that I liked at Hallmark for my mom. It has the year on it. Said ornament is given as a Christmas present. Same thing happens in 1978 and now, ladies and gentlemen, we have ourselves a yearly tradition.

I have not yet started the same thing with my children but I have tried to have an ornament a year for them. I like to think that one day the ornament will make its way to their trees. I’ve even started to put initials on the bottoms to prevent any future disagreements. There are a few handmade ornaments that all four of my mom’s kids made since we attended the same grade school. So, we each actually did make the same wreath ornament. Now who’s lovely wreath is on the tree, that is up for debate.

Here are a few of the ornaments for my kids:

1 comment:

pam said...

LOVE this, Denise. I started that for my kids too when I realized they would one day start their own home and have no ornaments. So it was my way of sending them off with a little bit of home. They treasure them.