Thursday, June 21, 2007

My Cleaning Journey Update

My 2 guys with the same name at tonight's AAA baseball game. I just LOVE this new babyGap shirt that reads, "Minor Leaguer." I bought one for baby brother to wear next summer.


Funny how this organizing thing strikes a chord with so many! A neat thing happened today. I've been trying to have a sort of schedule (subject to change if something really fun comes our way) where I do laundry on Mondays and Thursdays, Tuesdays are bathrooms, etc. Anyway, I realized as I woke up this morning that I did not really have that much to do. I mean, we kept busy with three grocery store trips (I tried to be good and follow the good sales this week - lots of BOGO... that's Buy One Get One, don't ya know) and three loads of laundry.



BUT - there was not this mountain of stuff for me to do. I didn't feel like a failure before my day even started. So, maybe there IS something to this "clean a little as you go" thing. For example, while waiting 5 minutes for Daddy so we could walk him to work this morning, I grabbed a Clorox wipe and wiped down the shelves in my fancy fridge. By having things sort of already clean, I can grab these 5-minute cleaning "opportunities" and do something I basically never used to do. I could not do this before when there were the last of last night's dishes and cereal bowls piled up in the sink.



And, yes, Anna - I'm with you. Your SIL, Kim (Tyler's mommy for the rest of you) is a great role model who made me realize that a clean house is a possibility. And, I am also trying to be a good steward as you mentioned. Lastly, like you realized that you were a good employee and now you need to bring that A-game to your home, a few weeks ago I bought my first planner since having a job. Why I thought I did not need one before, I don't know. But, it has been REVOLUTIONARY and really really helpful.



Thanks to you all for your comments. I am glad we are kindred in struggles and progress. Hey, at least we "show up" every day and we try. That's a lot in my book!

5 comments:

Lisa said...

A girl after my own heart! I just read your last 2 posts and love it! This is what I've been thinking my whole life. Now don't get me wrong, we have messes too and some that even sit around for a couple days. Now that I have a 16 month old life is different. But I still do LOVE to have a neat, clean and organized house. Thanks for the recommendations about the 5 minute jobs... those are sometimes the ones that get left on the back burner!

My mom tells me that even when I was a little kid I was super tidy. I would organize for fun! I must have been weird :)

ps... Love the shirt that your little one is wearing!

Shelley said...

Hi Denise-

Thank you so much for stopping by my photography blog and leaving a comment! You are very sweet!

So funny to meet you now, knowing Sarah and Erin and the whole Gap story! Congrats on that by the way, your little guy is a cutie! (I voted for him by the way!)

I love your 'cleaning antics'. I am also a very scheduled and organized person, so it made me laugh reading your post. Very close to the same routine I use!

So, your little guy is 19 months? Our bean will be 19 months on the 30th...and yes, they keep you moving!

It was great to read your blog. Hopefully we will get to know each other a bit...checking in on the boys'!

Wendy said...

Good job. I need to do the five minute thing, but I usually sit and take a breather. I should be more proactive. You are motivating me!! Thank you momma. You could motivate me more by coming out here, and helping me!! :)

Denise said...

Sounds like a plan, Wendy! You can handle 8 kids, right? We'll have to invite Stacy and her crew over and by then our baby will be here. Think of the FUN!! :)

Stacy said...

You go girl! I am proud of you! heaving a clean house is really rewarding! and you can actually relax when your house is tidy! Keep it up! (godliness is next to cleanliness!)