Thursday, May 3, 2007

18th-Month Checkup

Our little man is 18-months old. Excuse me - how did this happen???? Just yesterday he was my little preemie in the NICU. Now, him's a big boy!! Here are some pix from his appointment.


Weight: 23 lbs. 15 oz (25%)


Height: 32 inches (45%)


Head Circumference: 19 inches (55%)
Everything else went fine. The crying from the shot lasted about 3 seconds and was quickly made better by another fine parting gift: a pink dinosaur (his choice). The doctor recommended introducing special time each day with Jon David just for very focused one-on-one time in preparation for the new baby. And to call out this time to Jon David, like, "Hey, Buddy. Ready for our special time? Do you want to play with the bubbles or color?" He also said that Jon David probably sensed something funky going on with Mommy. Interesting... I'm curious, wise mommies out there - any recommendations for how to prepare my boy for his baby brother?




6 comments:

Wendy said...

Adorable pictures Denise. I started writing this big old comment and ran out of room.... glad he is doing well!! What a big guy! Amazing to hear how far he has come! How much did he weigh at 34 weeks? Elaina was born at 35 weeks, and was 5 lbs 13 oz so not too bad. Connor and Julia were both born at 37 weeks over 7 lbs 8 oz each. Can't imagine going to full term with those chunky monkies!!

Denise said...

Wendy,
Wow - those are big babies considering when they arrived. Jon was 4 lbs 9 oz and 17 inches. Itty bitty. He really has come a long way. You're motivating me to do a post about his early days. They were scary!

Janice said...

Denise, I don't know if this helps but I ended up getting a little doll for Cameron to play with a few months before Ava was born and would tell him that he's going to have a baby sister like the doll - of course, he was only 7.5 months at the time and could really care less about the doll! Maybe Jon David would be more interested since he's older?

You can always check out "I'm a Big Brother" by Joanna Cole out. (She's the author of the Magic School Bus series).

Wendy said...

Denise- I would love to see a post about Jon David's arrival! How fun! It really would be neat to see how far he has come! 4 lbs was itty bitty! Look at that guy now!

Andrea said...

I'm glad the appointment went well. I only have one, so I don't have advice- but I am very curious to see other responses you may get as we start to think about #2!

Jennifer said...

Glad the appointment went well, these pictures are too cute! Sorry I don't have any advice as we only have one right now :-)