Friday, May 4, 2007

I am my beloved's, and my beloved is mine - Song of Solomon 6:3




Wendy's Interview Question #1 - How I met my husband and when did I decide he was the one for me.


It's appropriate that I write this today since it's the 5th anniversary to our engagement. I know this because it's the day before my stepdad's birthday and the day before Cinco de Mayo. Back to our love story...


My husband is the oldest brother of one of my dearest girlfriends and a former roommate. When she and I lived together in Raleigh, she would tell me of her cute brother in Houston. I found out that while I was home (alone) watching FSU football, this good looking man was a season ticket holder and AT the games. I informed her that I was just shallow enough to decide to marry him so that I too could go to the games. So, we affectionately started calling him my husband.


Fast forward 3 years (November 2000) to said girlfriend's wedding. Guess who they had stand together in the wedding party? You guessed it. Me and my beloved. We hit it off and even had dinner (alone) together the night of her wedding (it was an afternoon wedding). He returned to Houston and we kept in touch somewhat via email and occasional phone calls.


A few months later, we picked back up the emails. Then came 9/11 and that really put a shock to my hubby. He took stock of his life and decided to get with the program and start courting me. He came to Raleigh for my 30th birthday, started calling me every day and visiting almost every other weekend. Our phone calls lasted about 3 hours a night - just like high schoolers. :)


Basically, we started to get serious in December 2001, engaged May 2002 and married August 2002. "Get 'er done" as we like to say!


I fell in love with my husband from the get-go but I did not decide he was the one until I realized that this was a man who desired the Lord's will in his life. I saw how he treated me with such care and the seriousness with which he took his walk with the Lord. He showed me his ability to lead our family and I knew this was the man the good Lord had for me.


My husband makes me laugh every day. He is, as we like to call him, a "pusher of fun." He really is quite fun. He's brilliant, kind and extremely generous. He is patient with me and the best daddy I could ever hope for my boys. I love him so much and I thank God for him every day but especially today, this special anniversary of sorts.


He proposed in a hot air balloon ride over Sedona, AZ (see picture below) and then took me to the Grand Canyon (my first visit). He likes to tell that I stuck my hand out for the ring as soon as I said yes. I prefer to say that it demonstrates that even at that early date, I was already his helpmate and just trying to make it easier to slip that nice rock on my finger! :) Either way, it was a JOYFUL day and I am one blessed woman. Indeed, I am my beloved's and he is mine!

7 comments:

MyAwesomeOliveShoots said...

I well remember those days! We praised the Lord for you finding such a fine and good man! Too many frogs but then there was YOUR prince! Aside from wearing a dress a size too small, your wedding was a celebration for all of us. Now hurry and get that baby over here so I can LUV him!!! I want to see your gi-normous orb and say hey to my future love/nephew too!

Wendy said...

WOW! I loved reading this. How romantic it all was!!! What an amazing man you have.... making it even better for your boys, as they have a great example of a spiritual leader! Thank you for sharing!

Jamie said...

I know this isn't the point of this post--but I LOVE your dress :)

Janice said...

What a beautiful love story! I love how he proposed in a hot air balloon! You can totally see how he adores you in the second picture - ou are a lucky woman to find someone who shares the same principles and beliefs as you!

Andrea said...

What a lucky woman you are! I loved reading your love story, and I especially like your proposal story. It is so fun to get to know you better!

Oh, and your pics are gorgeous!

Wendy said...

PS. I can't get over how gorgeous you are... I love that first picture of you two, it truely shows how madly, deeply in love you are with each other. The smiles on your faces say it all.

Jennifer said...

What a great story. It was so much fun to read and get to know you better. I had no idea you lived in Raleigh!